Listen to Podcast of the post
Featured in Episode 19 of Shokugeki no Soma. This is one of Akira Hayama’s signature curry dish, adapted from a South Indian style Curry. The name “Koli Varutha Curry” comes from தமிழ் (Tamil) language and means fried chicken curry.
* 1 Chicken thigh * 1 Onion pureed * Tomato - 1/2 cup pureed * 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste * 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder * 3 teaspoons Coriander powder * 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder * 3 Cardamom * 2 Cloves * 2 twigs Curry Leaves * 1" stick Cinnamom * 2 cups Water * 1/2 teaspoon Salt (for seasoning) * 1 tablespoon Oil
- Cut the chicken thigh into bite size pieces.
- Mix the chicken pieces with red chili powder, turmeric and ginger garlic paste and keep aside for thirty minutes to let it marinate.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks and fry for a few seconds till the aroma of cinnamon is released.
- Fry the marinated chicken pieces on medium heat till the chicken is half cooked.
- Add curry leaves to pan and Remove the chicken from the pan and keep aside.
- Add onion puree, tomato puree, salt and cook till the raw smell is gone for approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add coriander powder and fry for a minute.
- Pour water and once its starts to boil, add the fried chicken pieces.
- Stir well and cook covered till the chicken is cooked, for approximately ten minutes.
- Once the curry thickens, garnish with some curry leaves and serve hot!