Listen to Podcast of the post
Vegetable Pulao (or Pilaf) is an aromatic one pot rice dish cooked using whole spices.
I usually try to bring out the best flavor and aroma from the ingredients. Therefore, most of my recipes slightly deviate from the traditional way of cooking. Hope you enjoy it as well.
- 1 cup Biriyani rice.
- 1 medium Red Onion diced.
- 1/2 cup Beans and Carrot diced.
- 1/2 cup Green Peas.
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers diced.
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 5 Green Chillies
- 3 green Cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Star anise
- 1 tbsp almonds chopped.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp oil peanut oil recommended.
- 2 twigs mint leaves
- 2 cups water
- Salt for taste.
- Rinse Basmati rice in running water till the water runs clear of starch. Soak in cold water for 30 minutes. Prep the ingredients while the rice is soaking.
- Take a deep bottomed pan and heat the ghee and butter on medium heat.
- Add cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, star anise and cinnamon and fry for a minute till the aroma is released.
- Add the chopped almonds and sauté for a minute until the almond starts to slightly brown.
- Stir in the diced onions and sauté till they become translucent.
- Next, add green chillies, carrot, beans, peas and cook for 4 mins stirring occasionally. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Now, add water and salt. Bring the water to boil and add the soaked basmati rice.
- Next, add the half of the mint leaves and give a stir. Cook uncovered till the water stops bubbling on the top layer of rice. Add the remaining mint leaves on top of the rice.
- Cover the pan and cook on low for ten minutes.