Listen to Podcast of the post
Compote can be made with fresh or dried fruits. You can substitute the strawberries and apples with fruits of your choice. I added basil and ginger for an aromatic and spicy kick. However, These are optional.
If you have a sweet tooth, Add a little more honey to taste after cooking. Compote is best consumed immediately (It will however last in refrigerator for up-to a week)
Strawberry Apple Compote
1 pot dessert made from fresh Strawberries and Apples, with a hint of spices for kick. Perfect and delicious when paired with Waffles, Ice Cream, Yogurt, Pancakes, etc.I have used honey instead of sugar for a healthier natural sweetener.
- 1 lb Strawberry destemmed and quartered
- 1 lb Apple peeled and chopped
- 1 cup White wine
- 1 inch Ginger finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Mountain Raw Honey
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 2 sprigs Basil Leaves
- 3 inch Vanilla Bean
- 1 Clove
- 1 Lemon freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp Chia seeds soaked in water for 10 minutes
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add Strawberry, Apple and White wine and stir well.
- Once the wine starts boiling, stir in the ginger, cinnamon, clove, vanilla bean, basil leaves, honey and lemon juice.
- Stir occasionally and cook until the apple is tender for about 20 minutes. Mash the fruits using a wooden spoon. Continue simmering until the compote starts to thicken.
- Add the chia seeds and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Chia seeds help in binding the compote together.
- Transfer the compote to a bowl and let it cool. If you like the compote to be more smooth, strain it through a sieve and remove the solids.
1 thought on “How to make Strawberry Apple Compote”